17 August 2011

Airports



[Note: This was written 17 Aug; sorry for the delay in posting!]

Flying. I have a love/hate/love relationship with it. I love the airports, the excuse to take long naps during flight, arriving in a new place, but the actual moving on a speeding bullet through the air isn't really my favorite thing in the world. Now you may be thinking to yourself, "Courtney, you're just scared! Suck it up, be a woman!" but, alas, it is something all together different. Something that makes me feel nauseous, irritable and fuzzy-headed: circulated air. No, no, I won't write an entire post on the ills of circulated air, I've said my piece.

I do love airports, though (for the most part). Before heading through security, my parents and I grabbed some breakfast in the airport and talked about some of our previous travels and the number of airports we've been through (16 for me; I consider those merit badges). There are some that I've really enjoyed (Philly is one of my favorites, even though everyone always seems to hate it, tied with Albany) and some that are less than desirable (Newark comes to mind; although any airport that charges for wifi is lame-o in my humble opinion). But even in the worst of conditions there is something magical about airports (seeing people from all walks of life and from all over the world; and I always manage to see a monk or nun in full habit--I feel safer flying with them). Seriously! I could write a poem about 'em! ...but I won't.

I've just arrived at Baltimore via Southwest, where I will have a few hours until my flight around 1:20 to Chicago Midway. Greeting my hungry eyes was an Au Bon Pain, one of my favorite little cafes (I'm fairly certain that it was an Au Bon Pain in Oxford when I studied there that hosted me quite a few times). The food at airports has to be my favorite, because you *could* eat healthy...but all the other options are so much tastier! No matter what, I always treat myself when travelling. A sandwich, a coffee, or maybe some Junior Mints (perfect to settle that slightly churning mid-air stomach). It's like a vacation... (I have yet to get one of the airport massages, but rest assured I feel that is in my future either on the way to Jerusalem or on the way back at the latest)


So there you have it, I managed to write an entire post on the first leg of my flight. Makes me hopeful that I'll be able to post a lot each week :) 


Please continue to hold all the YAGMs in prayer as we descend on Chicago like the flock of eager beavers we are, as well as my parents as they plan my coming home party ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment