12 October 2008

Would you care to dance?

"I really believe I shall always be talking of Bath!"
-Catherine Morland, Northanger Abbey


I'm not sure that I'll always be talking of Bath, but it certainly was a memorable trip!

A few weekends ago, my friend from Messiah, Carly, and I traveled to Bath by train. We arrived early in the day and so, after arriving at our gorgeous hotel (read: with our hotel we were spoiled more than any college student ever has been...except maybe the heiress to large fortunes and royalty), we walked to the Jane Austen Centre on the other side of town. We had lunch in the Jane Austen Tea Room, and I had the 'Lady Catherine [de Bourgh] Cream Tea' before going through their exhibits for our tour.

I must be honest and admit that The Jane Austen Centre was a little bit less than what I had imagined. Granted, I probably had quite a spectacle imagined, so nothing could amount to the ideal. The displays were well done and it was very informative; for someone who didn't know a whole lot about Jane Austen, it would have been great. I did enjoy their gift shop, though, and quite a few of you will be receiving Christmas presents from there.

The main reason for the trip to Bath, of course, was to attend the Jane Austen Grand Regency Ball at the Assembly Rooms. After taking out time to get ready at the hotel (have I mentioned that the hotel was AMAZING?!), Carly and I walked, in our ball gowns, to the Assembly Rooms. We arrived to see quite a few people outside taking pictures, and as there was a decent amount of light, we joined in. We were disrupted at one point by the clip-clopping of a horse-drawn carriage, containing a few of the guests.

The night was filled with laughter and much dancing. There were an abundance of girls and so many of us stood up together. I am sad to say, that I did not find my Mr. Darcy, although we did make some friends, a few couples that told us of a reenactment at the American Museum just outside town.

On Sunday Carly and I ended up going to this reenactment....of the American Civil War!! Unbeknownst to us, we 'snuck' in without paying; although we followed the pedestrian signs, they had no place to buy tickets. We ended up seeing the Titanic exhibit which was set up quite well. The reenactment itself was a skirmish in which the Union won. It was very interesting as there was a narrator and the setting was absolutely perfect- up on a hill overlooking a stream and small wooded area. It was quite entertaining! I had never known that Britain was on the verge of joining the American Civil War on the side of the Confederates!

The weekend was quite fun and I'm sure I will never forget it!


As for recently...
I'll be posting soon to updated everyone on classes and such. But rest assured that I have two lectures tomorrow, a tutorial (meeting w/ prof) on Wednesday as well as another lecture, two lectures on Thursday, and a tutorial on Friday. For each tutorial I need to have an approx 1500 word paper. Oh joy of joys!

Luckily, my first tutorial and paper are on Pride and Prejudice!

Cheers <3

No comments:

Post a Comment