04 April 2012

Adventures in Reading (or, writing silly things)

Just a short story from today: This morning I was helping out the 5th grade class as they picked out their books to read over the upcoming Easter vacation. They scoured the shelves and then came over to me so I could write down what book they were going to take out. I was very impressed with what some of these kids in fifth grade were reading in their second (or third) language! One student took out a youth version of Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, but even being aged down for "youth" (what does that even mean?), it was a big read. I asked him if he knew the word "pirates", and just in case, I squinted one eye and say "Argghhhhh". He smiled and said, yes, and then covered one of his eyes like a patch.

Anyway, my favorite moment, was talking to a few of the students who picked out their books early. I really enjoy it when students try to speak English to me, even if it isn't "correct" grammar or very complex sentences. A few students told me certain things they like or don't like (reading, football, pirates). Then, one of the students, who enjoyed helping me take note of what books were being borrowed by spelling students' names, laughed and pointed to the "Book" and "Student Name" columns... He said "Nothing..."  "Courtney"! It was really hilarious, maybe you had to be there. He was speaking English well, and even made a joke. I always think that you if you can tell a funny joke in another language and it actually comes across as  funny, you're doing pretty well. Then he insisted that next to his name I write "is strong" and flexed his arm muscle with the biggest grin I've seen.


Kids are great, aren't they. Sure they can be little whirlwinds of craziness sometimes, but then, aren't we all? And that's not always so bad :)



No comments:

Post a Comment