17 February 2012

Perspectives and multiple narratives

I have plans to do a future post in which I explain how my history undergraduate degree prepared me for the work I'm doing this year (see parents everywhere, your child doesn't have to get a career that directly stems from their college major!), but until then I have to share with you a quote brought to my attention on a blog by Dr. John Fea, one of my former History Professors:

Historians are not the guardians of universal values, nor can they deliver "the verdict of history"; they must strive to understand each age in its own terms, to take on its own values and priorities, instead of imposing ours.  All the resources of scholarship and all the historian's powers of imagination must be harnessed to the task of bringing the past back to life--or resurrecting it....
--John Tosh, The Pursuit of History (New York: Longman, 2002), 7.




It seems even more poignant to me now, as I sit at school, just following a lecture and discussion I led for the 11th grade on the topics on ELCA theology on Creation (care) and the relationship of Science and Christianity. As I've grown I've realized how our professors and teachers, and really anyone we encounter, can bring us a truth. Yet, that truth may not be the end-all-be-all perfect-explanation-of-life. I gave a lecture to these very bright eleventh graders (in their second language, and they still engaged in dialogue! Can I just say I love the 11th grade here?!) and I had a great time, but I definitely felt that I, while bringing another perspective to the table, was not being accepted as the "guardian of universal values"...and I was so proud! 

In a class during my sophomore year of college (it was probably, "Created and Called for Community") we talked about wisdom, and how the true mark of wisdom is surrendering your grip on the universal truth and considering that what another person is telling you may be correct. At the same time, though, that wisdom requires not just believing everything anyone else tells you. Wisdom is wrestling with the truth.

So, looking back at that first quote, I realize how much it applies to life for me here in the Middle East. You could replace "historian" with "missionary living in accompaniment". Regardless of where you are, as a missionary you do not "bring Jesus" (or, heaven forbid, "the right way to live") to anyone. God exists just fine without any of my help (and, in all honesty, despite it). However, what I have been able to do this year is consider another perspective on God, another way in which people experience the Divine.



Seriously, how great is that?!



Part of accompaniment that makes relationships so much work (both during this year, and my life back in the States) is that you have to wrestle with the truth. I can't assume unquestioningly that my community is correct about everything, but I also can't ignore what they have to say because I'm "right". (As an aside, because I know the "Truth" gets to be tricky when we talk about religion, I'm not talking about pluralism...I'm talking about humility in knowing that we don't know it all.)


This year I've been challenged to take life in the Middle East on its own terms. I can't come in with my American perspective, my paradigmatic lens, and judge my community based on my imposed values (this, of course, is not to say that there aren't values that are shared by my community here and my community back home). I can't lie and say that there aren't days when I wonder, "Why can't [x] be like it is in America?" but I quickly realize how silly I sound. It's ok for me to miss things back home, but I wouldn't want my community here in Palestine and Israel to change to be the same. They hold too many values, priorities, and truths from which we can and must learn.






[Shout out to Cait, I've used big T truth and CCC in one post. Messiah College Sophomore Year win.]

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, so excited to have a shout out in a blog ;) Though I think CCC was freshman year? Haha, either way, I'm glad to see that all that edumacation has paid off. :P

    On a more serious note, though, I appreciate your reflections on the nature of truth - "Wisdom is wrestling with the truth." Being in such an interdisciplinary program right now, I'm learning that even though there is a group of people with the same or similar goals (ie: seeking peace) we all have different perspectives on how to achieve that based on our educational and experiential backgrounds. And that doesn't make me right or wrong as a history major, and it doesn't make John Doe right or wrong because of his background in psychology, or anthropology, or politics, or theology. We're each just bringing a peace of the puzzle to the table and then trying to figure out how it all works together. I can't claim to know the best way to reach peace...I so desperately need the input and ideas from others with different perspectives. Not to say it isn't frustrating at times, but when one learns to wrestle with it...what a beautiful thing! :)

    Cait

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney: Today is my birthday and whether your realize it or not, this post made my day. Thanks!

    --your former history and CCC instructor

    ReplyDelete