27 November 2008

Location: England, Age: 21

     It was pretty fun having my birthday in England, although it wasn't the same as if I had been back home with friends and family. I woke up unnaturally early and had breakfast with a few of my close friends at a cafe in town. There's not much that can beat scrambled eggs and toast in the morning! At the cafe, I saw Anna Popplewell, who is most famously known for her role as Susan in the Chronicles of Narnia movie, which my nephew Liam thought was pretty awesome.

     Then I went to the city centre small building of the program that organizes my studies in Oxford and just hung out for a while. I took a nap while waiting for one of my friends, Dabney, who I was going to go food shopping with. I decided to miss my lecture in order to get everything done, and then Dabney and I went to the infamous 'Primark' store and tried on some dresses. Primark is hard to describe, but I guess it would be close to a 'Marshalls' back in the States. I only ended up buying footwarmers, but it was a lot of fun. They have some crazy styles in England!

The main part of my outting was to buy the food that I needed to cook my birthday dinner. I had decided much earlier in the semester that I wanted to cook for my food group on my birthday- that way I'd get to eat my favorite food on my birthday! Food groups are about 10 people and there are two per day. Every person cooks at least twice during the semester per day they sign up for. For my birthday we combined food groups and were making...*drumroll*
Chicken and Spaghetti! It's a famous Weller staple and, while I had never made it before, I figured...how hard can it be?

Well, it's not too hard, but it helps to know that 2.2 lbs are in a kg, and not the other way around. I bought 6 kg of pasta, somehow thinking that it was only 3 lbs. Needless to say, I have 8 pounds of spaghetti left on my kitchen shelf!


No comments:

Post a Comment