05 September 2008

'ello Gov'ner

"If adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad."
-Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey


I've arrived! Safe and sound and somewhat sane! It was a crazy time, flying from Albany to Philly, and Philly to London, but I made it. The plane was decent although my back is sore from trying to sleep at a 45 degree angle, and I was perplexed as to why we were served dinner (what seemed to be heavy chicken or pasta meals) at midnight EST/5am BST. Nonetheless I have learned the following valuable lessons that I would like to pass on to those of you who might travel for extended periods of time:
  1. Don't overpack; it will make you very tired to carry your luggage around a huge airport and then the distance on the country road to your housing.
  2. Make sure you keep the dramamine you brought in your pocket or purse, not at the bottom of your carry-on which is stored above in the overhead compartment.
  3. Go to the bathroom before you get on your eight hour plane ride and then before your hour long coach ride into town.
  4. Don't overpack!
  5. Did I mention not to overpack?

My housing is absolutely gorgeous and I hope to have pictures up by Sunday. I live at The Vines which is a 35 minute walk from Wycliffe Hall, where I will be studying. Luckily there is a bus pass that will make it a lot less strenuous (as a bike in the rain is not exactly what I would like to do, especially the steep uphill trip back to The Vines). My double room is a bit smaller than at Messiah, but it does have a sink in the room which is fabulous!

I wish I could write more, but I'm simply exhausted and since it is 7:38 pm here, I feel that I will not suffer jet lag too badly if I take a small nap.

More later!
Cheers =)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I remember that long suitcase-trundling walk! But I love that backyard... looks to me as though it was lifted out of one of those Austen mini-series. :) Congrats on arriving safely, and finding a way to quote Northanger Abbey.

    ReplyDelete